Thursday, July 5, 2012

Number Aesthetics Example







Just a bit of continuation from my last post, a chart for use as an example.   In deciding what numbers to use, I used this process for my characters.

1. First is just the area designation from low-high in how they relate to each other.
2. The number next to that is the rank I gave them in relation to one another.  1 being the highest and 10 the lowest.
3.  After that I decided on some rough numbers in terms of 00/50 (the numbers with a line through them) based on the ranks I had given.  These are easier to understand at a glance and easier to use to get my character statistics in proper line with each other.
4.  The final numbers at the bottom of the squares, are the actual numbers I will use.  They are close to the previous, numbers, but they are more visually pleasing.  This step is a purely aesthetic change.  They look like more real, natural numbers and create the sense that the game/environment is not, or at least less manufactured.

Of course, all these numbers are actually meaningless.  Their entire purpose is to generate a feeling of strength/weaknesses in the characters and define their "roles" and character.  What is actually important to the gameplay, will be the formulas these numbers plug into.  And as those formulas are behind the scene, they can be manipulated to make these numbers into anything the designer chooses.

No comments:

Post a Comment